Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Those Little Details

When reading a book, I find those little details the author has woven in essential to transporting me to that other world. It's never enough just to have a decent story line or interesting, developed characters.  Good authors thoroughly research their topics and sprinkle in enough authenticity to bring the reader along on their ride.

Many stitchers have run across books by author Monica Ferris, particularly her series of mysteries starting with Crewel World revolving around various forms of needlework in the clues and crimes.  Monica's latest book Theadbare hit the streets just before Christmas:
Turns out that Monica had visited Nordic Needle in Fargo as part of the research for this book. She just happened to spot the chart my Mum designed called Fjord Ponies during her visit.
And somehow, this happened...right there in black and white on page 247.
We didn't know ahead of time.  I think better than any surprise I could have arranged for Mum.  So, of course, I had to get a special copy for my Mum for Christmas.  Monica was so sweet to work with.  She autographed a copy for us. I know my Mum will treasure this forever. (It's her Andy Warhol moment.)
So pick up a copy and enjoy the mystery and all of its little details.

8 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I bet you had to re-read it 2 or 3 times to make sure your eyes weren't playing tricks on you, LOL. Congrats to your mom! Her piece really made an impression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo! How awesome is that? Go Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I have all of Monica Ferris's books in PB, just reading "Buttons and Bones" now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!! Way to go mum! I must get back into that series ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very wonderful and what a great gift for your Mum! I'll bet she is over the moon happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Monica Ferris's books! can't wait to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks girls, for all your nice comments. My husband and i just giggled
    and laughed on Christmas when I opened the book and Tracy's little post-it said "start on page 247"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I love that kind of 'in' stuff in all her books - brands of threads and names of designers and shops. That is awesome that your mom's pattern got a shout-out like that - congrats Cindy!

    ReplyDelete