Tuesday, February 2, 2010

In Full Bloom

I always thought it a shame that you could only see the growth rings on a tree once it was cut down.  These Growth Rings are not quite the same concentric ones we see in a tree trunk, nor does exposing them mean the death of the plant. Every little "cell" of this design is bursting with flowers, leaves, or seed pods.

This is Rosanne's version of Growth Rings.  It's done on 25 count black Lugana using Anchor variegated threads 186 and 1345.  She used 3 strands of floss to get good coverage given the large fabric count. Given that fabric count, the finished piece is roughly the size of a redwood trunk.  I'm not sure of her finishing plans, but table topper might be a good option. It's going to look fabulous no matter what she does.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful finish, Rosanne!  You did an exquisite job.

Folks looking for the Growth Rings pattern will need to get their hands on the back issue of Just Cross Stitch magazine (March/April 2009) or wait until later this year when the copyright flips back to me and I can release it as a stand-alone chart.

10 comments:

  1. Looks great - well done Rosanne. That's good news about Growth Rings being released as I never did manage to get my hands on that magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful design, and beautiful rendition of it. I've never seen this design before, but I guess that's because I haven't looked at Just Cross Stitch for quite a while. Now I'm going to have track down that issue of the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Raksha - be sure to have a peek in the current Just Cross Stitch, too. There's another in there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love seeing all the different finishes - I think a table topper for a wooden table would be more than appropriate for this design :)
    It took me three months to get my hands on the JCS mag with this pattern (not on sale over the counter in Oz) Now if my threads would just arrive ...
    FYI - JCS has put up the current mag online as a trial. Tracy - love the first of your seasonal mandalas. Thankyou.
    Liz (Canberra, Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not that big really. It's come in about 20" and even I'm working out how to finish it at the moment. Wall hanging/quilt is the current favouite but I need to find suitable fabrics for the finishing.

    Thanks for all the compliments

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really pretty! I have Growth Rings pattern and the original threads as well as the corrections. But I'm having trouble understanding the corrections. I don't know if it's my eyesight or if it's just that I can't 'get' the corrections into my brain. I had to draw the corrections out on graph paper and still the changes elude me. I know I'm not that dumb, so I'll get it figured out. Do want to get Growth Rings finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol, try making a working copy of the chart pages and maybe even tape them together. Then orient your copy the same way as the correction page. Then take the areas one at a time - find the spot marked for correction and look it over stitch by stitch until you see what is different. The bottom line is that if you don't see it, you wouldn't see it in the stitched version either - so don't worry about it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tracy! So true what you said about not seeing...I guess it's easy to get obsessed about being perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very pretty. Maybe on the back of a black jacket?

    ReplyDelete